To evaluate one's fluency in the English language, individuals take English proficiency examinations like the IELTS or the International English Language Testing System examination. Actually, most people who take the IELTS need its certification as a requirement for their visas – work, study, or immigration. Whether you are someone taking the IELTS for self-assessment or for visa requirement, the best thing to do is to be familiar with the vocabulary words being used in the IELTS test.
In the Philippines, Filipinos are accustomed to using American English vocabulary. However, there are certain British English vocabulary words. Here are some words in American English with their British English equivalents.
· Read a lot. Not everybody loves reading, so for starters, read something that interests you. For example, if you are fond of comic books, you can enjoy reading comics of different genres. There are some words or even expressions in comic books that might be new or unfamiliar to you. Write these words and look for their meaning in the dictionary. Make a sample sentence for you to remember that word. From comic books, find another material like the newspaper or some journals. It is important for you to enjoy the reading material you have to encourage and promote learning.
· When creating a vocabulary list, group them according to topics. Label them as science, history, health, even arts. In this way, it will be easier for you to find an appropriate word based on the topic you are talking or writing about.
· It is also recommended for IELTS examinees to study phrasal verbs. Phrasal verbs are very useful when it comes to finding verbs that will make your sentences sound smarter and more logical.
· Read about idioms. Choose the ones that you can clearly understand. Do not use idioms once you are confused about it.
· Use the vocabulary you have as often as possible. This will practice you in creating meaningful sentences that are needed in your IELTS speaking and writing examinations.
Dedicate a lot of time studying IELTS vocabulary and you will realize the help it does when you take the real test.